Saturday, February 18, 2012

Brien Michaels, Dark Erotic Fiction Writer Interview


The talented Brien Michaels invited me over for a sleepover a few nights ago. He didn't, buy check out what he had to say about his writing process, and who's on his sexual bucket list...

How did you get your start/what made you decide to become a writer of erotica?

I started writing it when I was in high school, I think. I’d started reading fan-fiction and thought “Hmm…I can write this.” And I did. Didn’t start doing it seriously though until a couple years ago when I read Str8te Boys by Evangeline Anderson. After that, I just couldn’t stop myself.

From what or where do you derive the most inspiration for your stories? 

Music, I think. I’ll listen to a song and some part of it will resonate with me, and then a situation will bloom from that. Then characters, then backstories. Though emotions and my mental state play a huge part in the way any given story will turn out.

What are you working on at the moment?

A few things. I’m writing this kinky frat story called One of the Boys that should hopefully be done soon. I’m also attempting my first m/f piece, tentatively title Damn That Radio, all about what happens when wishes come true. And there’s the next book in my Stories of Us series from Etopia Press: Speak Now. That one’s about not waiting until it’s too late to tell someone you love them.

Do you find it difficult to keep sex scenes fresh and interesting?

Honestly, no. I’m twenty-one so there’s always sex on my mind in one way or another. But it also depends on what kind of characters I’m working with. How they feel about each other and how horny they are usually dictate what kind of sex they’re having in any given scene.

What's your process? Do you enjoy listening to music or do you need quiet?

I don’t think I really have a process. I usually try to do about a thousand words a day, but that doesn’t always work out the way I want it to. I do definitely listen to music though. I feel like I can’t function without it, it’s such an essential part of my life. That’s one reason why a lot of my stories share titles with songs, because while I’m writing there’s always one that will be the go-to song for that book and that usually becomes the title.

Do your family and friends know you write erotica if so, how have they reacted? 

Everyone around me knows what I write. My friends love it. My family doesn’t mind it, but they do wish I wouldn’t write so much m/m.

Who/what do you enjoy reading in your spare time?

I love Stephen King and J.K. Rowling. But I do enjoy reading erotica most of the time.

What’s your favorite food? 

PIZZA! Bacon and Pineapple, to be more specific.

If you could pick one place in the world to retire to, where would it be?

I have no idea. But wherever it is has to have hot people with sexy accents. So it could just be Texas, but yeah.

If you have a sexual bucket list, share with us one or two things on your list. 

One of them is most definitely to sleep with one of the boys from Supernatural. Jensen, Jared, doesn’t really matter which one. Also, maybe testing a few things I’ve read in books…


Thanks B! Y'all, check out Brien's, Last Friday Night, available on Amazon, BN, and ARe.


Stroke ya later...

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! Gonna have to check that out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention....his covers are ah-mazing! Aren't they?

      Delete
  2. Great interview, love the sexy cover! Wouldn't have thought of Katy Perry for a m/m story title in a million years, lol!

    ReplyDelete