Saturday, February 4, 2012

Interview: Gay Erotic Romance Writer, Adelaide Cooper!



The multi-talented Adelaide Cooper virtually sat down with me and dished the dirt. She's a couple of things:

1. Gay erotic romance writer
2. Cover artist
3. Photographer
4. Caffeine addict
5. Photoshop guru (She made the kick-ass banner for this site!)

Last but not least she's number 1,000,349,931 in line for the British throne, that's a lie....maybe. =)

Meet my friend and fellow writer the fantastical Adelaide!



So, how did you get your start/what made you decide to become a writer of erotica?

I got my start in writing very early on as a child, but my career of writing erotica began when I got back into writing both original and fan fiction after a 3 year hiatus from writing. I wrote many different types of stories in one particular fandom, which introduced me to a number of published authors. They encouraged me to write more original smut and mentioned that self-publishing is the way to go. I was going through a very rough patch in my life because of my old job, which I ended up leaving late last year. After that, I did a bunch of research, thought about it and decided to go for it while I look for a new job. And the rest, as they said, was history.

From what or where do you derive the most inspiration for your stories? 

Oh, if only I know. My brain is pretty chaotic, not quite ADD but close to it. My ideas mostly came from asking myself "what if...". Sometimes, it's a sentence, or a phrase, or something someone said on a forum or a tweet... It gets lodged in my head and grows into something. For example, my first two books "Killer Liaison" and "Lethal Attraction" came from a simple idea of wanting to do the gay version of "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" but with lots of sex. I asked myself: what if they were both guys? they met, got into a relationship but didn't know they were spies/assassins?

What are you working on at the moment?

I have half a dozen projects going concurrently at any given time. I write whatever my brain feels like writing today. I am actively trying to finish the third installment of the Danger Games series (to follow "Killer Liaison" and "Lethal Attraction"), a couple of stories that I want to submit to anthologies, as well as a new werewolf series.

Do you find it difficult to keep sex scenes fresh and interesting?

I had thought that I'd have problems with that. However, perhaps because my stories are more plot driven, the plot affects the progression of sex scenes, so I haven't had problems with it. I hope I never have problems writing a sex scene lol!

What's your process? Do you enjoy listening to music or do you need quiet?

I'm a very visual person. I sometimes would have the models for my cover images all picked out before writing in any of the details. When I write, I form something akin to scenes from movies/TV shows that I then describe/transcribe onto paper. Sometimes music forms part of that process, but often times when I am focused on writing I'd ignore the external sounds.

Do you family and friends know you write erotica if so, how have they reacted? 

Oh god no! lol... Aside from a few online friends whom I trust, I don't think anyone I know knows about my smut career. Most friends in real life know that I write, just not what. I do plan on writing something that's longer and in a different genre, so hopefully one day I will be able to tell them, yes, I'm a writer and this is my work, without having to show them naughty pictures.

Who/what do you enjoy reading in your spare time?

I read... a lot of different things. I don't have as much time to read now, but I read a lot of Sci-fi (and all of the sub-genres), fan fiction (the well written ones--i'm very picky) and m/m romance and erotic romance novels.

What’s your favorite food? 

Oh dear... hm... this is harder than the other questions, you know!? I'm very diverse in my food habits, but creamy pasta, fruits and the occasional steak are absolutely necessary. That, and coffee. Lots and lots of coffee.

If you could pick one place in the world to retire to, where would it be?

Somewhere warm? Spain sounds nice. Southern UK? Honestly, if I were to retire, especially if I retire early, I'd probably do lots of traveling to lots of different places.

If you have a sexual bucket list share with us one or two things on that list. 

Errr... One of them is definitely: Have sex with one (or more) celebrities that I like (not necessarily at the same time...). Another one is probably to peg a guy. Can't find a guy who's willing to let me peg him that isn't gay. *le sigh*

Thanks Adelaide! Be sure to check out books 1 and 2 of  her Dangerous Games series on Amazon.

1 comment:

  1. This is an amazing interview. Addie is on of the most professional and prolific writers in gay adult erotica. Glad to see that she is featured.

    Adrian

    ReplyDelete